Labor & Employment
LLF’s Labor and Employment practice encompasses virtually every aspect of labor and employment law. We regularly represent clients before governmental agencies including, but not limited to, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the United States Department of Labor and state and local agencies that administer and enforce labor and employment laws.
LLF also advises and counsels clients relative to compliance with all applicable labor and employment laws and representation in matters involving a broad range of human resource issues. Our attorneys typically function as “hands on” business advisors and strategists who regularly are asked to provide guidance on employment issues and human resources policies and procedures.
The labor and employment services LLF offers include:
- Counsel regarding compliance with all federal, state and local employment laws
- Advice regarding employment terminations, including strategy, severance agreements and other solutions
- Drafting and revising employment policies, contracts, non-competes, confidentiality and other restrictive covenants
- Arbitrations and Mediations
- Mergers and acquisitions including participation in all aspects of the due diligence process regarding labor and employment issues, as well as post-transaction advice and counsel
Employment Practices Audits
LLF often reviews and counsels clients regarding employee forms, files, policies, procedures and employment practices to identify and correct potential exposure to liability under state and federal wage and hour, discrimination and leave of absence laws and employment contracts.
We review our clients' employee files and records to ensure compliance with federal immigration laws.
Increasingly, businesses are confronted with employment-related claims, including discrimination, retaliation and harassment, due to the combined effects of large jury awards, over-burdened government agencies and new employment laws. While there is little an employer can do to eliminate these factors, there is a great deal it can do to minimize its legal exposure.
Our Litigation Department and Labor & Employment Groups consist of lawyers with vast experience representing employers in virtually every kind of labor and employment litigation matter. Our litigators understand that businesses and business people seek favorable results attained in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
Our litigators’ substantial experience allows LLF to quickly and efficiently identify issues and develop responsive strategies. In consultation with our clients, our initial focus is always on how a case can best be resolved – by settlement, pretrial motion or after a trial – and whether to proceed in court or through one of the many forms of alternative dispute resolution available. This evaluation is always consistent with a client’s individual business goals.
LLF attorneys have litigated matters in state and federal courts at the trial and appellate levels. We also handle matters before administrative agencies and represent employers in private arbitration and mediation. The types of labor and employment issues we have litigated include:
- Breach of Contract
- Breach of Loyalty and Fiduciary Duty
- Commission Disputes
- Compensation Issues
- Confidentiality Agreements
- Covenants Not to Compete/Non-Solicitation Agreements
- Defamation and Employee Reference Issues
- Employment Contracts – Oral, Written and Implied
- Employment Discrimination – Local, State and Federal
- Infliction of Emotional Distress
- Intentional Interference with Contract and Prospective Advantage
- Retaliation Claims
- Sexual Harassment
- State and Federal Wage and Overtime Issues
- Trade Secrets
- Wrongful and Retaliatory Discharge Claims