Joanna KopczykAssociate312.667.1361 Jkopczyk@llflegal.com
Joanna Kopczyk is an experienced litigator and forceful advocate for clients involved in a wide range of complex commercial matters. Crafting persuasive arguments that combine meticulous attention to detail with an ability to transform facts and issues into a compelling narrative, Joanna focuses her practice on commercial litigation, construction litigation, breach of contract claims, and related actions.
Priding herself on collaborative client relationships and committed to transparency and open communication, Joanna is a trusted partner for businesses and individuals who need effective representation to reach favorable, efficient resolutions of disputes. She has substantial experience in the areas of construction, commercial, bankruptcy, and surety law, and has provided a full range of transactional and litigation services for her clients.
A Chicago native with deep Chicago roots, Joanna graduated summa cum laude from the Maryland Institute College of Art. She earned her law degree from the University of Texas School of Law, where she participated in several moot court competitions and won awards for her writing, including best brief.
When not serving clients, Joanna serves as a volunteer coach for the Girl Scouts of Greater Chicago and Northwest Indiana Project Law Track and enjoys creating pottery and pursuing other creative outlets such as painting, camping, and running.
- University of Texas School of Law, J.D., 2017
- Maryland Institute College of Art, B.F.A., 2011
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Seventh Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Inidana
- American Bar Association
- Young Lawyers Division
- Forum on Construction Law
- Tort Trial and Insurance Practice
- Chicago Bar Association
- Construction Financial Management Association
- Has experience in state, federal, and municipal court as well as arbitration proceedings.
- Has represented owners, general contractors, subcontractors, and material suppliers in a variety of matters involving contract drafting and negotiation, bid protests, breach of contract actions, mechanic’s lien claims, and disputes involving change orders, change directives, differing site conditions, defective design, and other matters related to construction disputes.
- Experience in representing sureties and contractors in matters nationally involving payment bond and performance bond claims as related to private and state public projects, collateral, and indemnity disputes.
- Represented the City of Chicago in enforcement actions related to the Municipal Code.
- Interned with the Hon. J. Lavin in the First District Court of Appeals.
- Drafted and argued a pro bono appeal to the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals.